Wednesday, May 25, 2011

ED SCHULTZ APOLOGIZES TO LAURA INGRAHAM: Off MSNBC for one week without pay

During his radio show earlier this week, ultra liberal and MSNBC host Ed Schultz referred to conservative talk host Laura Ingrahm as a "right-wing slut" and "talk slut." Now he is paying the price for his choice of words.

"Rain, thunderstorms, winds getting whipped into tornadoes of horrific proportions. Hot weather, all of this stuff. And what are the Republicans thinking about? They're not thinking about their next-door neighbor. They're just thinking about how much this is going to cost. President Obama is going to be visiting Joplin, Missouri, on Sunday. But you know what they're talking about? Like this right-wing slut, what's her name, Laura Ingraham? Yeah, she's a talk slut. You see, she was, back in the day, praising President Reagan when he was drinking a beer overseas. But now that Obama's doing it, they're working him over," Schultz said.



Ingraham responded to Schultz's name calling by stating on her Facebook fan page:

"First, I was surprised to learn that Ed Schultz actually hosted a radio show. Is it only available online? Second, I have to get back to recording the audio edition of my new book "Of Thee I Zing." Now I'm tempted to insert one additional zing--about men who preach civility but practice misogyny."

Schultz started off his MSNBC show on Wednesday with an apology to Ingraham and announced that he was leaving the air for a while as a result of his comments.

"I am deeply sorry, and I apologize. It was wrong, uncalled for and I recognize the severity of what I said. I apologize to you, Laura, and ask for your forgiveness.

"I also met with management here at MSNBC, and understanding the severity of the situation and what I said on the radio and how it reflected terribly on this company, I have offered to take myself off the air for an indefinite period of time with no pay.

"To the staff here at MSNBC, I apologize for embarrassing the company and the only way that I can really make restitution for you is to give you a guarantee, and the only way that I can prove my sincerity in all of this is if I never use those words again. Tonight, you have my word that I won't. Laura Ingraham, I am sorry. Very sorry. I'll be back with you in the coming days," Schultz said.

MSNBC released the following statement about Schultz:

"MSNBC management met with Ed Schultz this afternoon and accepted his offer to take one week of unpaid leave for the remarks he made yesterday on his radio program. Ed will address these remarks on his show tonight, and immediately following begin his leave. Remarks of this nature are unacceptable and will not be tolerated."

To his credit, Schultz does sound very sincere with his apology, but very much like a man that is fighting to save his job. Maybe there is room for him over at Current TV with his old friend Keith Olbermann.

No comments:

Post a Comment