Saturday, July 23, 2011

Tea for Toes



Here's another take on the Tea Things challenge at The Altered Alice. I'd been thinking about this for awhile. This is actually one of a pair of altered slippers I'd made for a girly pajama party get together at the gift shop in our local nursery awhile back. There was a slipper decorating contest and of course I participated. My other slipper had a martini glass on the toe and I did win first prize. When I saw the Alice challenge I thought of the tea cup slipper and decided to add things to make it more "Alice".



I have a mini deck of "Alice " playing cards and chose appropriate images to add to the ivy vines. Also the key to Wonderland.

I polished an old silver spoon that doesn't go to any set and added it on the side. This card has the Hatter shoving the dormouse into the teapot.


Fortunately he's escaped and managed to climb into a cup with a tea bag (Earl Grey Double Bergamot...YUMMMMM!!!)

Drink me? Gladly! Once the dormouse gets out of there.


I felted the dormouse myself. Every seen felting tools? Those 3 sharp needles are pounced over and over into your fiber of choice (usually wool roving) until you get the shapes you want. However (I'm gonna warn you now, stop reading if you're the squeemish type because I've gotten a load of EEEEEWWWWWW!!! reactions) this dormouse was felted out of Jezebel's fur. LOL There are wads of it after Daddy combs her and I thought it was a perfectly logical although somewhat ironic to use it to make the dormouse. (Actually, I was collecting it to felt a replica of Jezzie for her to give to Daddy for Father's day but he was so totally grossed out by the idea, I didn't finish it. I certainly didn't tell Jezzie I made a MOUSE with her hair or she'd have had a fit!) But honestly, it's not like I stuffed a pillow with it.

Here's a side view. See, it really is a slipper. That brown thing off the back it winds around my ankle to keep it on my foot. Tea for Toes. I would have taken a pic with my foot in there, but I didn't shave my legs today. LOL (OOps, was that TMI?) There's still time to join in with The Altered Alice challenge for this month. These are loads of fun and the Design Team and the participants are super inspirational. If you love Alice, it's a must!

No comments:

Post a Comment