Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Nior // No Vacancy Gallery

Melbourne

April 22 - May 2

Nior held his second solo show 'Switcheroo' at No Vacancy Gallery, Melbourne. Including his handcrafted, wooden creations + immaculately imaginative illustrations > one talented guy creating an awesomely unique exhibition.

We had a quick chat with him about whats crackin', and the upcoming year...





.... How did you begin incorporating your illustrative work with wood? //

Growing up there has always been a steady supply of scrap wood lying around my house, as my father is a builder.
It just made sense to do something with all the scraps. I find the surface suits the way i paint.


What influences you and your work //
I think it comes from a range of things. Memories, friends, family and people in general. The hill that I live on is pretty interesting to.
Other local artists that I'm lucky to know well have been an important influence and inspiration to me also.
Nature documentaries have always interested me, there's something about all those different animals of the world.


Music to listen to while working //
I enjoy a mixed range of music, I go through stages and play different types of music to the mood that I'm in when working on my art.
For me music is one of the most important tools to help me get through it.


Favourite mag(s) //
Wooden toy is always nice to peek into.
Champfest is looking pretty good too.




Best advice you've been given //

I have been given a lot of advice over the past few years. It has all molded into one big piece of advise.
maybe it was;do what you wanna do be what you want to be yeah!


Any int. galleries you'd like to exhib at //
I was luck enough to do a show last year with Ghospatrol in Singapore.
The whole experience was great and being able to travel with my art was a bonus.
There are heaps of galleries that i really liked the look of while traveling through Paris and London.
I have heard good things about some of the LA and New York galleries too.


Upcoming shows for 2010 //
At the moment I'm working towards a show in Sydney later in the year.
In the meantime I have a few group shows coming up in Melbourne.


thanks rob!



Loved this piece! Reminds me of the Champfest duo...

No comments:

Post a Comment