Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Bah! Humbug! Stencil Challenge


Oh WOW! Those gals at Bah! Humbug! sure know how to make a challenge! this week it was stenciling. Now I know there are lots of ways to stencil, but I had purchased the brass kind with embossing paste eons ago and thought this was the PERFECT time to try it. Ahhh...not so much. First of all, I couldn't find the brass stencils I'd purchased. No surprise, considering the way my craft room looks at the moment, but that embossing paste was no picnic to work with either. Tape the stencil down and use a spatula as if you were frosting a cake. Okay, but every time I lifted the stencil, the paste sort of globbed and covered some of the finer lines. It took me 7 tries to get these feeble results, finally realizing that since I wanted to use white glitter, it would show up better on colored card stock...duh! And also it's best to tape the stencil down on ALL sides and hold it down while applying the paste so it doesn't get under the stencil. Slightly harder to remove it that way (and be sure to lift STRAIGHT up) but this, at least was a fairly clean image. The problem was my paste is translucent instead of white so with the iridescent glitter it isn't nearly as bold as I would have liked. (Great, DH just came in and said he could hardly see it without tilting it at an angle. Thanks, hon! Best I could do)
So if I couldn't find my stencils, what did I use? I peeled the brass part of the Sizzix Simple Impressions Embossing dealie out of the folder and Voila! They have tons of these at Custom Crops and they're only $1.00. The DP is My Mind's Eye Wonderful Winter, which has a bit of sparkle, with white glitter paper mats. Card stock is Stampin' Up and the sentiment is a peelie I cut apart. Don't think I'll be trying this technique on a regular basis but you never know. LOL Thanks for the inspiration, though, ladies.

No comments:

Post a Comment