Sunday, January 16, 2011

Connection



For this upcoming year, I wanted to organize my new year's resolutions in a positive and encouraging way instead of a listless list of don't this, don't that and less of this, less of that. 

My great friend at school, Beth, told me about this scrapbooker, Ali Edwards, that chooses one word a year to encompass her goals and dreams for the upcoming year. She calls this program, One Little Word. Here is a beautiful composition of her readers' word selections.


I really like this idea of choosing one meaningful word to weave my hopes and aspirations into, in a way that would be encouraging and inspiring instead of intimidating or shameful. So last week, I began my extensive word search for just the perfect word that would simply and intricately illuminate my ambitions. I'm not sure how many people know this about me, but I am an extreme perfectionist about things that are important to me; I may not notice dishes piling up in the sink, but I will spend hours organizing my classroom and writing emails(or blog posts) to make sure that it's exactly right. So finding this one meaningful and perfect word was definitely a challenge!

One day on my way to work, I was listening to some TED talks, and found one talk that seemed to reach out and vibrate inside of me, like when you know something is meant for you.








I definitely won't be able to accurately articulate how beautiful her talk is, so just watch to it! What stood out to me is that she speaks about having courage and compassion to connect. She describes, "Shame is the fear of disconnection." Isn't that so true!? Fearing vulnerability is such a natural and ingrained fear. It's something we are programmed with. That's why it's so important to be aware of that tendency and move towards that uncomfortable place to gain that connection.

There it was; my perfect word just revealed itself to me:connection. 



After obsessively researching all things Brene Brown, I found that Ali Edwards(the one little word scrapbooker) reviewed her book. Connection


"When you live your life with an appreciation of coincidences and their meanings, you connect with the underlying field of infinite possibilities."


con·nec·tion:
1.
a. The act of connecting.
b. The state of being connected.
2. One that connects; a link.
3. An association or relationship.
4. The logical or intelligible ordering of words or ideas; coherence.
5. Reference or relation to something else; context.
6. A person, especially one of influence or importance, with whom one is associated, as by kinship or common interests.
7. A conveyance or scheduled run providing continuing service between means of transportation.
8. A physical link, such as by wire or fiber-optic cable, between two or more points in a telecommunications system.
9. A means or channel of communication.

I've always been really inspired to find connections inside and around me. For me, it feels like the world is a riddle or a labyrinth for me to uncover. 
__________________________________________________________________

For me connection is cultivating the courage and compassion to vulnerably connect to myself, to others, and to my environment.
  • I want to connect to myself and nurture my passions and inspirations.
  • I want to connect to my family and friends; to not be ashamed to be open and vulnerable with others.
  • I want to make connections in my environment; to open my eyes to the awe and wonder and magic that occurs everywhere, everyday.
  • I want to connect to my students and facilitate life-long meaningful connections for them, as well as learn from those happy faces to be vulnerable, inspired, hopeful, free. 
One of my goals, is to journal about my connections as well as print photographs to accompany my writings. Here are a few of my photos that symbolize connection for me.



                                        

                                       

                                      


            
                                            

To be whole, let yourself break. To be straight, let yourself bend. To be full, let yourself be empty. To be new, let yourself wear out. To have everything, give everything up.








What would your one little word be?


No comments:

Post a Comment