Monday, June 14, 2010

BBTB2 Reader's Choice - Camp Out Curved Fish


Happy Monday (are people really happy about Monday?) I actually am because that means I've completed my DT projects for the week and can RELAX (or just play with whatever I want to). I must say the projects for this week were a bit of a challenge. On BBTB2 we have a Reader's Choice from Camp Out using the big cruved fish. Guy cards, EEEK! and no fishermen in this house. Actually, I shouldn't be complaining about this one because I've wanted to do this cut ever since I saw it because of the movie "Big Fish" with Albert Finney. I cried like a baby (in the theater, no less) watching it because parts really reminded me of my Daddy who used to tell stories. Anyway, enough of that.

I made a shaped front card using Design Studio with the fish (obviously) and Mickey font welded to a rounded rectangle from George. The hook is from SpongeBob. (yeah, I know, I can't believe I have that cart either, let's just say it was a deal I couldn't refuse and it certainly came in handy here. LOL)

I used matte mettalic paper for the fish and tried to make him look (semi) real by coloring him with Distress Inks and embossing the scales with the Cuttlebug Tiny Bubbles folder and scoring the fins and tail with my MS scoring board (I LOVE this board because it has score lines every 8th inch, WOOHOO!) The words were cut with the greenish woodgrained paper from the DCWV Green Stack and embossed with the new Tim Holtz Woodgrain folder (definitely a new FAVE you'll see more of that tomorrow.)

Okay, so I had the design, but I was STUCK as far as background paper went. Fortunately I was on the phone with my good friend Lillie complaining I didn't have any paper that looked like water. Not only did she suggest the light blue foil that she knew I had, but also the Cuttlebug border folder to emboss it like waves. THANK YOU LILLIE!!!! Without you this card probably never would have been finished and the colors so totally worked I was THRILLED! Lots of popping here. The fish was actually 4 layers (if your count the shadow base. At first I was going to leave the letters flush with their shadow but popping every other one made it SOOOO much more interesting. I didn't finish the inside because I really don't have anyone to send this to at the moment, but if I ever do I will cut a blackout version of the fish for the inside and print my sentiment on that. It won't show from the front then when the card is closed. Now if you haven't already, go check out the fabulous creations by my BBTB2 DT sisters and remember you can play along with ANY fish cut from ANY cartridge if you don't happen to have Camp Out. We love to see your stuff!
I'm also participating a few other challenges with this card. Cards for Men has a Father's Day theme, and also in a new (to me) challenge blog called Rosie-D's that I found through Lyn's blog. The challenges start every other Sunday and the current theme is something blue with the option of fish or fishing. THAT WORKS! The cool thing about this blog is you can create ANYTHING you want that fits the theme so there are lots of fun things other than just cards or layouts to see. Thanks Lyn for turning me on to another fab challenge blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment